Ignition Interlock Device

Ignition Interlock Device (IID)

Ignition interlock device - IID

As a result of a criminal conviction, R.C.W. 46.61.5055(5), or conditions of release a defendant may be required to obtain an ignition interlock license.

A person may also have his or her license suspended, and may be able to obtain an Ignition Interlock License that allows him or her to drive with a functioning ignition interlock device. Following conviction of certain alcohol related offenses, the Department of Licensing will also require that a person obtain an Ignition Interlock License for a specific period of time. Information on obtaining an Ignition Interlock License can be found on the  Department of Licensing's Ignition Interlock Driver's License  page.

The following is a list partial list of King, Pierce and Snohomish County companies that provide ignition interlock devices The list is not complete. As such, we have included a link to the Washington State Patrol's list of Ignition Interlock Providers. Persons should consult with their attorney prior to obtaining an ignition interlock device:

Autosafe, 1-800-977-0091

LifeSafer, 1-800-634-3077

Waiver of Ignition Interlock Device for Work Vehicles

Under most circumstances the requirement of an Ignition Interlock is waived for purposes of driving work vehicles. Information on obtaining a waiver of the Ignition Interlock requirement for work vehicles can be found at the  Department of Licensing's Ignition Interlock Driver's License page, as well as a link to the Employer Declaration for Ignition Interlock Exemption.

Help with Ignition Interlock Device for low-income drivers

You may be eligible for financial help if you can’t afford to install, lease, and remove an ignition interlock device in the vehicles you drive. To apply for assistance, you must submit a Department of Licensing Ignition Interlock Device Financial Assistance Application.
Per the Department of Licensing website, to qualify, you must be indigent as defined in  R.C.W. 10.101.010  and have an income below the Washington State poverty cut-off level shown below:

2013 Federal Poverty Guidelines

People in family/household

Yearly income

If you’re approved to receive financial assistance, you’ll need to reapply every year.
If you’re denied, you may reapply in 6 months.
Share by: