Alcohol/Drug Treatment

AAlcohol and Drug Treatment
Alcohol / Drug Evaluations
Deferred Prosecution
Drug Offender Sentencing Alternative
Treatment Agencies

Alcohol / Drug Evaluation and Follow-Up (ADEF)

Whenever a person is convicted of a criminal charge that involves the use of alcohol or drugs, the court will likely order an alcohol/drug evaluation from a state certified treatment agency. Where a person is convicted of a DUI related offense, the evaluation is mandatory. Attorneys will often ask that their clients obtain this evaluation during the pre-trial process. As part of its sentence, the court will order the defendant to follow the treatment recommendations made by the agency.

Since the time commitment and cost associated with the results of the evaluation can be one of the more serious consequences of a conviction, when and where a person gets evaluated, and when and how the results are disclosed to the prosecution and court, can be extremely important.

The Process
There are hundreds of state certified treatment agencies in the state of Washington, each has its own principles and philosophy. The cost of the evaluation, and the cost of any recommended treatment can also vary widely depending upon the agency.

Prior to making a recommendation,each agency is required to have certain information about you. For instance, they will need a copy of your driving record, a copy of your criminal history, and a copy of the officer's arrest report. This information is usually provided by your attorney. The evaluation itself will consist of both a written and oral questioning.

On some occasions, you will be asked to submit to an urinalysis screening to test for the use of alcohol and/or drugs. The results of the urinalysis will be factored into the treatment agency's recommendation. alcohol/drug urinalysis screening, the results of which are factored into the recommendation.

There are a range of potential results of an alcohol/drug evaluation. For instance, if the evaluator determines that there is insufficient evidence of an alcohol or drug problem, you will be said to have No Significant Problem (NSP). Under these circumstances it will be recommended that you attend a one day Alcohol/Drug Information School (ADIS).

Whereas if the evaluator determines that you are alcohol or drug dependent (alcoholic or addict), it will be recommended that you enroll in a lengthy treatment program, up to two years. This level of treatment involves group and individual meetings at the treatment center, as well as Alcoholics Anonymous or equivalent self-help group meetings. Significantly, if you are found dependent you may qualify for a deferred prosecution pursuant to RCW 10.05.

Finally, there is a middle-ground which has traditionally been referred to as a finding of "abuse." If it is determined that you fit into this category the recommendation can be anywhere from ADIS, plus a few counseling sessions, to three, six or even a twelve month treatment program.

Deferred Prosecution, RCW 10.05

Persons who are evaluated as "alcoholic," "addicted" or "SPII" may be eligible to petition the court for a deferred prosecution pursuant to RCW 10.05.010.  A deferred prosecution is a five year program in which the Petitioner must complete various conditions, including two years of alcohol / drug counseling in order to have his or her case dismissed.  A person may only have one deferred prosecution in a lifetime on a Title 46 (driving) offense.   RCW 10.05.010.   At a minimum, the conditions of the deferred prosecution will likely include the following:
  1. Attend and complete two years of alcohol / drug counseling.
  2. Attend a DUI Victim's Panel.
  3. Pay court costs and restitution (if applicable).
  4. No use, possession or consumption of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs.
  5. Monitoring by a probation officer (including payment of probation fees).
  6. Having no criminal law violations (this does not include civil infractions such as speeding).
  7. Ignition Interlock Device for at least one year.
WHen a person enters a deferred prosecution program they waive their right to a speed trial and a jury trial.  They also acknowledge that the court may revoke the deferred prosecution for any violation of its terms and conditions (a new charge of a similar nature to that on deferred prosecution requires revocation).  If a deferred prosecution is revoked, the charge becomes a conviction with all of the associated penalties.

Drug Offender Sentencing Alternative (DOSA)

The Revised Code of Washington provides that a qualified persons may request that the court sentence them to a drug offender sentencing alternative (DOSA) as authorized by R.C.W. 9.94A.660.

The Drug Offender Sentencing Alternative (DOSA) is a law which allows qualifying incarcerated offenders with substance abuse problems to receive a reduced prison sentence in exchange for completing a chemical-dependency treatment program. RCW 9.94A.662.   Since 2005, the law has allowed qualifying offenders to receive chemical-dependency treatment in the community in lieu of confinement. RCW 9.94A.664.  The primary goal of the DOSA program is to reduce rates of recidivism by increasing community-based treatment alternatives for substance-abusing offenders.

To qualify for a prison-based DOSA, an offender must not have current or prior convictions for a violent offense or a sex offense in the last 10 years, a current conviction for felony DWI, any sentencing enhancements, a deportation order, or a prior sentence to DOSA in the last 10 years.  RCW 9.94A.662.

To qualify for a residential DOSA, offenders must meet all the requirements for prison-based DOSA, plus they must meet two sentence-length requirements: 1) the high end of the standard sentence range for the current offense must be greater than 1 year; and 2) the midpoint of the standard sentence range must be 24 months or fewer. RCW 9.94A.664.

Ultimately, judges, with input from prosecutors and defense attorneys, decide whether an offender receives a residential DOSA sentence.

Persons participating sentenced to a DOSA sentence must voluntarily agree to participate in chemical-dependency treatment and urine testing. Residential treatment staff cannot prevent offenders from leaving the facility. However, offenders are returned to confinement (either prison or jail) to serve the remainder of their sentence if they do not complete treatment. Once the residential treatment term has been satisfied, offenders must serve 2 years under community supervision or half of the midsentence range, whichever is greater, and attend continued outpatient treatment.

Alcohol and Drug Treatment Agencies

The following is a partial list of King, Pierce and Snohomish County agencies that provide evaluations and treatment. The list is not complete, as such, we have also included a link to a complete list of Washington State's Approved Alcohol/Drug Treatment Agencies as of September 2012.

Please note that an attorney often has specific agencies where, based upon the judge, the court, or other circumstances concerning the client's case, he or she recommends that the client either obtain their evaluation and/or avoid obtaining their evaluation. As such, persons should consult with their attorney prior to obtaining an evaluation and/or enrolling in treatment. 

This list is provided for assistance to our clients, a resource for our attorneys, and other attorneys, who may be looking for these resources. Neither Stewart MacNichols harmell, Inc., P.S., or any of its employees necessarily endorce any of the agencies included in this list. Nor do we have any business or other relationship with any of these agencies. Remember talk to a lawyer before contacting any treatment agency.

King County

Abate Counseling
Auburn, 253-939-2243
Puyallup, 253-848-6887

A Change Counseling
Renton, 206-772-6260

Asian Counseling Referral Services
Seattle, 206-695-7506
Auburn, 253-205-8200
Bellevue, 425-289-1600

Bellevue, 425-646-7279
Kent, 253-867-5344
North Seattle, 206-781-2661

Comprehensive Alcohol Services
Kent, 253-859-5487 

Bellevue, 425-679-0801
Kent, 253-579-1998
Seattle, 206-461-4880

Auburn, 253-735-2718

Burien, 206-306-2690
La Fe The Hope (Spanish)
Renton, 425-793-9834
Burien, 206-241-0990
Des Moines, 206-824-9273

Rainier Counseling
Enumclaw, 360-802-0446 
Kirkland, 1-800-776-5944
Second Chance Recovery
Burien, 206-242-4915 

Seattle, 206-766-6976

Low Income / Sliding Scale

Sound Mental Health, locations throughout King County
Seattle, 206-302-2300

Bellevue, 425-747-7892
Seattle, 206-323-0934

Opiate Treatment

Bellevue, 425-747-7892
Seattle, 206-323-0934
-as of September 2012 

Pierce County

Asian American Chemical Dependency
Tacoma, 253-302-3826
Tacoma, 253-536-3881
Crossroads Treatment Center
Lakewood, 253-473-7474
Social Treatment Opportunity Programs
Tacoma, 253-471-0890
Puyallup, 253-770-4720

Low Income / Sliding Scale

Tacoma, 253-572-4750
Sound Mental Health, locations thoughout King County
Seattle, 206-302-2300

Snohomish County

Asian American Chemical Dependency
Lynnwood, 425-776-1290

Assessment and Treatment Associates - Mountlake Terrace, 425-289-1600

Low Income / Sliding Scale

Everett, 425-258-5270
Marysville 425-651-2366

Evergreen Manor
Everett, 425-493-5310 or 425-322-0853
Lynnwood, 425-248-490
Detoxification Services: 425- 258-3255 (Everett)

Seamar Outpatient Treatment
Everett, 425-609-5505
Monroe, 360-282-3901
Lynnwood, 425-977-2560 - no ADATSA

Everett, 425-347-5121 

Opiate Treatment

Everett, 425-347-5121

Low Income Persons - Medicaid Expansion - Apple Health

In Washington State, Medicaid is called Washington Apple Health.

Because of the Affordable Care Act (sometimes referred to as "Obamacare"), more people are able to get preventive care, like cancer screenings, treatment for diabetes and high blood pressure, and many other health care services they need to stay healthy.

How to apply

Persons can apply for Apple Health on any computer with an internet connection at Washington Healthplanfinder.

The following information is needed when applying:

•monthly household income.
•The Social Security numbers and dates of birth for each member of household.
•Your immigration information, if applicable.
It takes about 45 minutes to apply online and a response is typically given immediately.  

Persons that are accepted receive a Services Card in about two weeks. Coverage begins on the first day of the month in which the application was submitted.

Persons not eligible for Apple Health, may qualify for help with   other health services. The website will also help with that.

How to renew coverage 

•Online: Go to the Healthplanfinder website – look for the green "Apple Health Coverage" button.
•Phone: 1-855-923-4633 to renew through Washington Healthplanfinder
•In-Person: Locate a navigator in your community who, at no additional cost, can help you find, compare, and select a health plan.
Note: You will need your household’s estimated income and Social Security numbers for all applying members.

Missed the deadline?

If you have missed the deadline to renew, but you would like to continue coverage, please contact us as soon as possible. If we find you eligible within 90 days after the date you lost coverage, we will cover you for the period you were without coverage.

Email the Health Care Authority the following information with the subject line “Renewal” for help renewing your lost coverage. You may also call 1-855-623-9357. 

Please include:

•Primary applicant’s full name.*
•Primary applicant’s date of birth.*
•Primary applicant’s ACES client ID or ProviderOne ID number (if available).
•New address or phone number (if you moved or changed phone numbers).
*Required information

Choose or change your health plan

Now you can choose a health plan or change to a different health plan from those available in your area by visiting

First-Timers' Guide to Washington Apple Health (Medicaid)


If You need need legal help?

• Call CLEAR at 1-888-201-1014

CLEAR is Washington's toll-free, centralized intake, advice and referral service for low-income people seeking free legal assistance with civil legal problems. 

• Outside King County: Call 1-888-201-1014 weekdays from 9:10 a.m. until 12:25 p.m. CLEAR works with a language line to provide interpreters as needed at no cost to callers. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call 1-888-201-1014 using your preferred TTY or Video relay service.

• King County: Call 211 for information and referral to an appropriate legal services provider Monday through Friday from 8:00 am – 6:00 pm. You may also call (206) 461-3200, or the toll-free number, 1-877-211-WASH (9274). 211 works with a language line to provide free interpreters as needed to callers. Deaf and hearing-impaired callers can call 1-800-833-6384 or 711 to get a free relay operator. They will then connect you with 211. You can also get information on legal service providers in King County through 211's website.

• Persons 60 and Over: Persons 60 or over may call CLEAR*Sr at 1-888-387-7111, regardless of income.
Share by: